Comforting Words: "It's Looking A Lot Like Christmas"

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

"It's Looking A Lot Like Christmas"


Yes, I said it - Christmas!

No, I am not joining the debate whether we should use that word or Happy Holidays. Christmas is my favourite time of the year!

Certainly it is a Christian holiday and liberal as I may be in my views, I am not ashamed to say that I love Christmas. Like most of us in the western world, my love for the season started as a child, listening to the stories of the birth of Jesus.

As I grew older, physically and in my faith, I stopped believing that a man named Santa Claus came through chimneys (maybe because in Jamaica we had none in the first place) and I stopped believing, as real, the story about a pregnant virgin who nine months into her term was travelling for miles on a mule!

However, I never gave up the sentiments of hope, humility, oneness and possibilities that Christmas signifies. That is what is real about the season for me - the message it holds.

Though the opportunity to go shopping, the amount of food we allow ourselves to eat, and the exchange of gifts excites me, I can make an excuse to do any of these things at any time during the year!

I simply love the spirit of the season and the sense of togetherness I experience with my family and close friends.

Admittedly, exchanging gifts is a bonus and this leads me to the point of this post - we have drawn the name from the bag for the Comforting Words Christmas Gift and the winner is.... a wonderful woman, who has not only taught me, but has supported my academic and professional pursuits and dreams. A citizen of Jamaica, she so happens to be visiting Canada right now and therefore I will not have to pay an arm and a leg to mail her gift :)

We still have two more draws to go before the end of this year - our regular monthly draw will take place on November 30 and the final draw for 2005 on December 30. So, you still have a chance to receive one of our modest but wonderful surprises! All you have to do is to "Join Our Mailing List," by clicking the box to the right of your screen and follow the prompts.

Miss P., keep your eyes on the mail van, as it will soon have your surprise!

Blessings,


Claudette

Photo courtesy of Freefoto.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home