Comforting Words: Christmas Reflection #10

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas Reflection #10


Lesson #10 for me this year is so simple that it was one that I often overlooked. Self-care.

My partner for years tried to get me to do this -- take some time for me and take better care of myself. This was and to some extent still remains a challenge for me as the guilt hooks that have been plunged into my psyche seem to go deeper every time I do something for myself.

Through my new career, I have the honour and pleasure of being with people who are teaching me the lesson of self care. What I have learnt is that at the end of the day, if I am not well - be that spiritually, mentally or physically - then I am really of no use to anyone.

Many religious traditions teach that self-sacrifice is the key to salvation and to think about taking care of self first is individualistic and self-centered. While there is much self-centeredness in our world, and we see that playing out even in international relations, I disagree with that philosophy.

It is my view that there is a big "S" in the kind of care referred to here. To not understand that is to misread the teachings of prophets such as Jesus.

What I have learnt this year is that when I serve and give from the fullness of my heart and in a spirit of abundance, i.e., from my sense of Self, not only am I being a blessing but I am being blessed.

However, if my giving and serving is coming from a tired, worn and disgruntled self, the one that is focussed on impressing (or kissing up to) the world, not only am I not blessing anyone, I am punishing myself.

A Course in Miracles states this somewhat differently, in nicer language. It reads "What you give you receive," and if what I am giving is broken, misguided, depressed and/or bankrupt is there any wonder that my life experiences are unsatifsying, reasons to jump off a bridge or bill collectors are constantly at my door?

This year, 2005, was the time that I really began to hear this message and have taken some steps in that direction. In 2006, I intend to step it up a notch and invite you to look in the mirror and ask, "Am I taking care of self or Self?

Blessings,

Claudette

2 Comments:

Blogger Bethie Marie said...

Thank you for this post!

What a nice reminder, and so true...everything I give, I give to mySelf.

Thank God for "A Course in Miracles"!

Blessings!

Fri Dec 23, 10:29:00 a.m. MST  
Blogger Claudette said...

I say that everyday...thank God for the old and the new Sacred Texts that we have been given to guide us along the way.

Blessings to you too.

Fri Dec 23, 01:15:00 p.m. MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home